There are the following types of controls:
- Selector Controls;
- Selection List;
- View List;
- Single Load Selector;
- Multiple Loads Selector;
- Description Control;
- Filter/Sort by;
- Label Plotter;
- Data Conversion Control.
- Limits Control
- Material Parameters
Theis a very powerful tool which helps to make an elemental or nodal selection.
The Selection represents a set of conditions that are performed one by one to get entity IDs.
= Operation + Condition Type + Entity IDs;
- add all entities to the selection;
- add entities by condition;
- add entities using standard selection tools;
- remove entities from the selection by using the standard selection tools.
- exclude entities using the standard selection tools;
- remove all selection conditions;
- move condition up;
- move condition down;
- store selection conditions to the component;
- edit condition (double click on the condition);
- remove selected conditions;
- preview the selection;
- preview only selected entities.
There are 4 types of operations:
- Add (+);
- Remove (-);
- Exclude (x) - remove entities from the selection, won't be added;
- Reselect (U) - take common entities from the current selection and condition ids.
16 main condition types can be distinguished:
- Named Selections;
- Joints - select joints from the list or search by common elements of selected components;
- Beam Members - select beam member or sub-member for Y/Z or Torsional directions from the list or search by common elements of selected components;
- Beam Sections - select beam sections from the list or search by common elements of selected components;
- Sections - select sections by following rules:
From List - select selections from list;
On Components - select sections if any element of the section belongs to selected components;
Group Elements between two sections of the same type:
Include Section Elements in Selection - include/exclude elements of selected sections in selection.
- Welds - select welds by following rules:
- By Rule - select welds by the following rules:
Rule Types - set predefined or custom options (e.g. Weld Ends + Intersections + Tips);
Welds - all recognized welds;
Weld Exceptions - elements that were defined as non-welded (e.g. flange to web connection of rolled beam that was modeled as plate);
Weld Tips - elements of the non-welded structure at the free ends of the weld (weld shear influence);
Plate Free Edges - all shell elements with free edges;
Weld Ends - weld elements at both ends or free ends of the weld;
Weld Parts - welded or non-welded parts of the weld;
Weld Intersections - all or common elements at the weld intersections;
- By Weld Type - select welds by the following weld types:
Weld Type - set options to select L, Tee, Butt, Cross or Custom welds;
Weld Parts Count - welds where weld parts count matches set rule;
Angle Between Weld Parts - welds where angle between weld parts matches set rule (e.g. for Butt weld it is 0 deg.);
- From List - select welds from list;
- On Components - select sections if any element of the weld belongs to selected components;
- Property Type - select elements based on the property type. E.g. Beam, Mass, Rigid, etc.;
- Property Shape - select elements by the shape type, standard or Nastran. E.g. circular bar, T Section, etc.;
- Element Topology - select elements by the element topology. E.g. Line, Tri, Quad, etc.;
- Additional Rules (are described below in details);
- Add Visible - add all entities visible on the screen;
- Recent - show list of recently created conditions:
- Import from Components - select conditions to import form the existing components to current selection.
There are 8 additional conditional types:
- Coordinates - pick entities of the model by equal/more-equal/less-equal coordinate rules;
- Planes - select all elements in the Plane (XY, YZ or ZX);
- Add Attached - add elements that are connected to the elements from the selection;
- Add Attached (by All Nodes) - add elements that are attached by all nodes to current selection (e.g. add beam elements to plates);
- Inversion - remove currently selected elements from the selection and adds all elements that were not in the selection;
- Plates with free edges - add to selection plates which have at least one edge with not connected elements to it;
- Stiffeners - select all beam elements that are connected to shell elements with 2 nodes;
- Surface Elements - pick reference elements and search all elements with normal collinear to selected.
All conditions work in a similar way except Inversion. The condition editor displays the dialog where an operation type has to be defined and a list of IDs/Types/Shapes:
Inversion = all entities - current selection ids.
Search - contains useful commands to navigate and filter items in the list:
ID - navigates to respective id in the list;
Filter - filter names in the list. Filter is case insensitive and checks if an item contains Filter Word.
Show (All, Selected Only, Not Selected Only) - change visibility between selected and not selected items in the list
Selection proceeds condition in order - from up to down. Changing the order of the condition will change the resulting selection.
All elements with the material "1..AISI 4340 Steel" are selected.
The Selection has 2 conditions. First all elements with the material "1..AISI 4340 Steel" are selected. Second condition invert selection - all elements minus elements that have already been selected (from the material ID = 1).
All elements with the property "3..BEAM Property (Rectangular Bar)" are selected.
All elements with the element type = "2..Bar" are selected.
The Selection has 2 conditions. The first one is to add elements with all nodes that are in range X[15.5;25]. The second is to reselect (pick out common ids from the current selection and condition) elements with property "3..Beam Property (Rectangular Bar)".
The selection has 2 conditions. First, add all elements with the element type = "2..Bar". The second condition is to add elements with all nodes that are in range X[6;12] and Y(3;7).
The example demonstrates the exclude operation. The first condition excludes all elements with the property "1..Bar Property (Circular Bar)". The second condition adds all entities to the selection. Exclude operation completely removes entities from the selection. It can be considered as the remove operation that is always performed in the end.
Operations with conditions
It is possible to perform extra operations with existing conditions using the context menu:
Preview/Highlight entities from only selected conditions on the model;
Export as component… create a new component with a selected conditions;
Copy to components… - create same selected conditions in chosen components;
Selection List control allows creating several selections at once. It is used in the places where multiple items of the same type but with different selections can be created (report tables/plots, thickness plot tool) or results based on a set of selections (components extreme table, mass and COG table).
- add custom selection:
- edit selection.
- remove selection.
- preview chosen selections on a model;
- highlight chosen selections on a model;
- move chosen selections up;
- move selected selections down;
- add All Elements/Node selection.
Add multiple selections simultaneously:
From List - The list with all available components be displayed:
All selected components will be added to the list as the separate selection.
Components Condition - select components to be included:
Include Content of Components - include each created condition in the selection of selected components as separate selection. Component will be included as separate selection if any condition is included;
Note: Content of components includes only conditions based on list of selected items (e.g. materials, welds from list or element type/shape conditions etc.)
- named selection;
- model entities:
Materials and Properties Conditions allow to pick all materials/properties on selection and exclude not necessary items:
- members/sub members from Y/Z/Torsional direction.
Members/sub members can be added by 4 methods:
From List - select necessary members from the list;
On Components - include all members/sub members that have at least one common element with selected components;
On Beam Sections - include all members/sub members that have at least one common element with selected beam sections;
Select by Elements - include all members/sub members with at least one common element in selected elements from the model;
-panel sections can be added by following methods:
From List - select necessary sections from the list;
On Components - include all sections that have at least one common element with selected components;
Select by Elements - include all sections with at least one element included in selected elements from the model;
Group Elements between - select elements between each two selected sections of certain type:
-welds can be added by following methods:
From List - select necessary welds from the list;
On Components - include all welds that have at least one common element with selected components;
Select by Elements - include all welds with at least one element included in selected elements from the model;
- rename selected view;
- copy selected views;
- remove selected views.
Single Load Selector allows picking you Individual Load, Load Set, Load Group or Fatigue Group from the existing Jobs.
A Multiple Load Selector allows to select few Individual Loads, Load Sets, Load Groups or Fatigue Groups from the existing Jobs.
Recent Loads - select the recently used combination of loads (max 8 combinations in the list);
All Loads - select all possible loads;
All Individual Loads - select all possible individual loads;
All Load Sets - select all possible load sets;
All Load Groups - select all possible load groups;
All Fatigue Group - select all possible fatigue groups;
Note: For the items that require using only one Job, the loads only from that job will be selected;
Note: Recent loads list is changed only when the loads are selected manually;
Note: The loads, that cannot be used in the current context will be banned from being selected;
- opens the window to select the loads manually:
The load list contains the loads from all checked Jobs.
- selects all possible loads;
Pressto add all Individual Loads/Load Sets/Load Groups/Fatigue Groups to the selection.
- available for tables that are built on multiple loads (flow table, summarized forces over loads). In this case, only items of the selected load group will be included in the table but not load group itself.
- clears all selected loads;
Description Control allows adding a single line or multi-line comments.
By default, a comment is added in the text field as a single line.
To switch to multi-line editor press or Arrow Down (on keyboard). Alternatively, click on the text field and popup editor will open.
To close multi-line editor press or.
Labels control is used to put extra labels for result plots over the recognition items or min/max values over the selection.
Note: The control is available for criteria/contour plots for result categories and check plots.
Display By list:
None - no labels are shown by default;
Members- put a label of the absolute maximum value at the center of each beam member from the Beam Member Finder.
Note: Sub members are used instead of beam member if they exist. Sub-members are taken from a torsional length;
Plates - put a label of absmax value at the center of each plate from the Panel Finder;
Stiffeners - put a label of absmax value at the center of each stiffener from the Panel Finder;
Members - put a label of absmax value at the center of each beam or sub beam member from torsional direction of the Beam Member Finder;
Welds - put a label of absmax value at the center of each weld from the Weld Finder;
Min/Max - put the labels with the min/max values on the selection defined in a plot;
Min - put a label with a min value on the selection defined in a plot;
Max - put a label with a max value on the selection defined in a plot;
Note: All elements from the welds, plates, stiffeners, and members should be included in a selection of plot to display labels for them.
Filter - filter label values using Limits Control. It is available for members, plates, stiffeners and welds type only.
Panel Finder Coordinates - put labels with coordinates of the recognized sections of selected type in the Panel Finder. It is possible to skip the section labels to avoid overlaying if they are very close to each other by increasing One label every value:
Font Size - size of all labels on the plot (section coordinates and results).
Control is used to display filtered values in the table and sort them in the selected. Any calculation parameters of the check can be sorted/filtered in the table.
For filter, it is also possible to display only entities only when all the calculation parameters are above the Value, not only selected one.
Order - sorts values in ascending or descending order for selected parameter.
Note: The last parameter of the check is selected automatically for sorting in the descending order.
Buckling Factor Overall > 1 is sorted in descending order:
Label plotter is used to display the selected Components/Materials/Properties with different colors and labels:
To limit plot change selection - only common elements from the selected items in the list and Selection will be displayed.
Note:If selection is changed - the list of items will be refilled automatically so only items that exist in the selection will be visible.
For Label Typeoptions there are 3 variants: Id, Title or Id, and Title;
Font size - font size of displayed labels;
Labels Orientation - put labels from the top-left to the bottom-left (Vertical) or from the top-left to the top-right (Horizontal);
Labels Top-Vertical Offset, % - sets vertical offset in % of the window size from the top;
Labels Per Row - the maximum labels amount displayed in a single row. It is enabled only when Labels Orientation = Horizontal.
Show only Elements from Selected Components - displays only common elements from the selected items in the list and a Selection if turned ON. Displays all elements of a Selection if turned OFF:
- select/deselect all items in the list.
Export selected items in the list to single or separate components/named selections.
As One Component/Named Selection - create single component/named selection with all selected items in the list;
Each Item as Component/Named Selection - create separate component/named selection for each selected item in the list;
Data Conversion Control
It is possible to use Averaged or No Averaged results. Use Corner Results and Average type is defined by default and can't be changed (these options can be modified for others CAE).
Filter elements/nodes selection based on the result criteria (type): Below, Above, Between, Outside. If Absolute Value option is set, the absolute result value is compared to the selected criteria:
Material Parameters Control
Yield Stress and Tensile Strength of materials is used in calculations of standards and it is important to set the values for all materials of the model to avoid inappropriate results.
Control displays amount of materials where Yield Stress and/or Tensile Strength equals zero:
If count > 0, then press to edit Yield Stress and Tensile Strength:
Pressto read properties from Ansys for selected materials.
Note: Some standards use only Yield Stress in calculations. Tensile Strength in this case is not necessary to be set.
Rename multiple items is available for all collections in Navigation Tree (e.g. Views, Jobs, Standards etc.) except the model-related collections (e.g. Materials, Properties etc.)
- copy only titles of selected items to clipboard;
Note: Ctrl+C key combination will copy all selected items with Id and Title
- paste titles from clipboard to all items starting from the first selected in the list. Ids are not pasted.
Note: Use Ctrl+V key combination to paste the titles starting from the first selected item in the list.