DNV OS-C201-WSD Weld Strength (2011)
An offshore standard DNV OS-C201-WSD Weld Strength (2011) verifies structural stability for each structural member (weld). Weld connections (section 9) is implemented.
- basic usage factor that can be found in Table E1, Section 2 of the standard is replaced with the respective load Safety Factor (SF). SF = 1 / η0.
To add the standard executefrom the main menu.
Common options are described in the Weld Strength Settings chapter.
Press to Set Standard Custom Settings
Press to set a Correlation factor (Beta_w):
factor is obtained from Table C3, section 9 and depends on the material type:
- material resistance factor for plated structures is a constant value (=1.15) and used in calculations to check base material strength.
Standard uses material data (Yield/Tensile) in calculations. Wizard checks if the values are defined for all materials.
Checks are created automatically and divided into few parts:
- Dimensions checks. Geometrical parameters weld area, elastic section modulus etc;
- Stress checks. Total weld throat stresses at the start and at the end of the weld. Weld Stresses are calculated using the weld dimensions at four points at the weld ends;
- Utilization factors. Total utilization factors, base material check and overall utilization factor checks.
Permissible stresses for welds are calculated as described in a standard (using the Tensile Strength) and compared to the Von Mises stress. These are formulas of Check 13.
Permissible stress for the material is calculated using the yield of the material (Check 14). But then the Von Mises stress is calculated assuming weld angle is 0° (even for fillets where angle = 45°) and resistance using weld throat = weld leg length (z). In this case the stresses are calculated not in the weld face, but in weld coordinate system.